Thursday, April 9, 2009

Retouching photos is difficult!

So I am having photography woes.

I just cannot seem to get my lighting right. Or maybe it's my exposure. In any case, I do not know enough about photography to get things done the way I need to get them done.

You know when you stare at something so long that it starts to look normal? Like having a vase on your mantle that you see every day and you don't notice how much dust is gathering on it until a clump of dust slides down the side of it.

I stared at this photo for so long...



... and tinkered with it for so long on picnik.com...


... and ended up with what I THOUGHT was a great-looking re-touched photo....
NOW it just looks like this cloud is floating in a world of airbrushing. It's a lifeless being without a shadow... just searching for a slightly-yellow tinted nothingness in which to suck the life out of you with.

Or maybe he's a sad cloud because he empathises with my plight. The neverending ache of what it is to take delightful, slightly blue-ish natural sunlight-ish, but not too contrasty or washed out, somewhat enhanced color saturation, with depth and appeal and lets not forget to use the MACRO!!!! OMG!

I just want to sew and create!

Can't these photos take themselves? Gah.

7 comments:

Little B Bunny said...

Do you use iPhoto? It takes all of the work out of retouching.

Anastasia said...

I use photoshop.com for my pics. You can see my site to see how it works...

www.Anastasia91.etsy.com

I promise I'm not here to advertise. That's probably what that looks like, but I promise I am not!

It is just that photoshop.com helped me make my lightbox photos look so much better! And it was so much easier than any of the other programs I have used.

Little B Bunny said...

I checked out your shop and I think the pics look pretty good. However, I would still recommend you give iPhoto a try (if you have a Mac). I am a Mac junkie, I know. But the iLife and iWork software have made my life so much easier!

3 Peas Designs said...

Taking photos in general is difficult. I'm a horrible photographer. Just thought I would let you know I mentioned your shop in my latest post of favorite things. Check it out when you get a chance.

Unknown said...

Hello, i've just found your blog and see that you have an etsy shop. I'm currently in the process of setting one up but i was wondering, do you craft full time? I'm always interested, i'd love to make mine full time but we'll see :)

Billy and Stephanie said...

you should read how to make a light box. I think that would help alot with your product pictures. You can look it up well any where but they do have pictures on flickr too

Kimberly said...

UGH!!! I KNOW! I recently made an apron, and not to toot my own horn, but it is amazing (and the first thing I've sewn in ten years, so, amazing for a novice!) and I really wanted to show it off. The photos are so horrendous and it looks like poop online. :( I feel your pain.